Monday, May 9, 2016

May 8, 2016 - The Persian Room - Scottsdale, Arizona

The Hayes and Svendsen families celebrated Mother's Day at a dinner in The Persian Room.

We were served a basket of hot flatbread cut into triangles with butter, onions and cilantro as our drink orders were taken.  We buttered the flatbread, laid onion pieces and cilantro on the flatbread.  Rolled it up like a tortilla.  Yummy!  It tasted fantastic.  Who would have though?

Appetizer – Tah Dig – crispy and crunchy crust of rice topped with two toppings Ghormeh Sabzy – sautéed chunks of beef and fresh herbs (parsley, chive, cilantro and methi leaves), simmered in special sauce with kidney beans and dried limes plus  Gheimeh Sabzy -  sautéed chunks of beef with yellow split peas, onions and dried limes, simmered in fresh tomato sauce, topped with shoestring French Fries.  I really liked the crunch of the rice.  The whole appetizer was delicious.  I liked it so well that I ordered Ghormeh sabzy as my main course.  It was served with lots of white rice and saffron.

The appetizer was half eaten before I could snap a picture.  It was delicious.







My serving of Ghormeh Sabzy.  I am not showing you the separate plate of white rice and saffron but you will see it in some of the picture below.

Judson and Jonah shared a Chicken Barg Sultani – a chicken barg (marinated boneless chicken breast, skewered and charbroiled) and koobideh (a mixture of ground beef, minced onion and seasoning shewered and broiled.  Judson let me taste a bite of both meats.  The beef tasted like the gyros meat that I am used to eating in Mediterranean restaurants.  The chicken tasted as if marinated in something that contained saffron.  This was also served with a big plate of white  rice and saffron.




Joshua and Jody along with Jack and Judy shared Shrimp and Scallops – marinated shrimp and scallops, skewered and broiled.  Served on a bed of baghala polo – fresh dill weed and fava beans mixed with fluffy Basmati rice.  I tasted one of Judy’s scallops.  It was very delicious.  I have loved scallops all my life…but over the last few years decided that I didn’t like the taste anymore.  This dish would make me like scallops once again.



Dessert was shared by everyone for a taste – Persian ice cream – a yellow colored pistachio ice cream with a slice of baklava.

If you are looking for a new taste in food,  I suggest you give Persian food a try.  It was delicious.


There was a long wait.  I don’t know if that was due to Mother’s Day celebration or if that is normal but if you must wait I suggest that you do next door to the Caspian Market.  Walk through and see the big picture of the food from Persia…now Iran.  I thought all the desserts looked so good.  I had planned to stop on my way home and buy something delectable.  Then I didn’t.  I am regretting that as I write this.   I saw many items that I had tasted during my trip to Turkey.  (480) 513-8797




Jonah and Grandma Judy



Judson and Nonna


The Persian Room
17040 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, Arizona  85255
(480) 614-1414
Hours:  Sunday-Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
             Friday – Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment