Thursday, July 13, 2017

July 12, 2017 - El Panzon y Frida - Scottsdale, Arizona


UPDATE:  This restaurant closed its doors in December, 2017.


This was the restaurant that I picked for my monthly dinner with Kelli Jo Welk.

While I waited for Kelli's arrival I ordered off with a El Panzon’s Paloma cocktail – El Silencto Mezcal – Cointreau – fresh lime – grapefruit basil sorbet all served in a lime-salt rim glass.  It has a very distinctive taste which was the basil in the sorbet.  I don’t know if I even liked it but it was a soothing drink…not  sweet and after drinking it I didn’t have a desire for something else to drink.

Kelli and I each ordered a starter soup – Kelli the Classic Tomato and I chose the Avocado Gazpacho.  I tasted Kelli’s and it was delicious.  I was surprised by mine because I was expecting soup…and it was served first by placing the sliced pickled radishes in the bowl…then spooning several soup spoons of the avocado soup..then topped with three grilled shrimp.  I must tell you though that it tasted marvelous even if it stunned my expectations of soup.  I would try it again.  I expected a cold soup and it was.  It always amazes me with sometimes how little the servings are…and yet I always walk away full.


Classic Tomato Soup



Avocado Gazpacho


I have always wanted to try a Bone Marrow appetizer so that’s what I ordered.  Kelli ordered the Sirloin Sliders.  We both just wanted a light dinner so we didn’t a full sized dinner.  If I ever returned I would order the Seared Scallops and Coconut Lobster.

My Bone Marrow was displayed marvelously and was served with delishly grilled asparagus served with five dollar sized tortillas and house chimichurri ( chopped parsley, cilantro, shallot, clove, oregano, vinegar and olive oil with some chile or red pepper flakes.  I thought this was delicious.  Comes from Argentina ,,always served with beef…but is also good with smoky grilled chicken and fish) .  I am happy that I ordered it but I don’t think I would ever order it again.


Bone Marrow


Kelli was served three sliders…which were quite large.   She gave me one…the sirloin was perfect and served with pickled cabbage, pearl onion, Dijon, horseradish crema on a pretzel roll.  These were very tasty.



Sirloin Sliders

The service was very nice.  Our server was so attentive.  It was different but good.  We were there really early so we were able to visit but once it began to get crowded it was really loud.


El Panzon y Frida
7323 E. Shoeman Lane
Scottsdale, Arizona
(480) 659-1544
Hours:  Tuesday – Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
             Friday – Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
             Sunday 11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
             Monday:  Closed 



         
This restaurant is now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment