Sunday, April 21, 2024

April 19, 2024 - El Charro - Tucson, Arizona

 

I was in Tucson for a bridge tournament.   I drove to Tucson the day before I played.  My plan was to go visit the Arizona Historical Society Museum - Tucson...and then try to get into El Chorro.]

I spent about 3 hours in the museum...thoroughly enjoying my visit.  If you have never been...stop...and take the kids.

I went after 1:00 p.m.  and I had no problem getting into the restaurant.  They started by serving me chips and salsa…their salsa was very good. I ordered House Margarite and  the Charro Birria Verde Chimichanga – tender shredded brisket, mile green chile and seasonings with a cream green sauce (extra)…served with refired beans (I believe Sonora style), rice with green peas and fresh pico salsa.  It was delicious.  It was also a huge serving.  I had to take half of it to the hotel with me.



 I have always wanted to try this restaurant when in Tucson.  I never could get in because the reservations for the evening were always filled.

 History:

 “Monica Flin started El Charro Café in 1922 and it’s still run by her kin, making it the nation’s oldest Mexican restaurant in continuous operation by the same family.

Legend has it Flin invented the chimichangas after accidentally dropping a burrito into a vat of hot oil.  More El Charros have opened in Tucson but the original is where carne seca,  thin strips of lean spiced beef, are air-dried in cages on the roof.  They taste delicious bursting form a crispy chimichangas.”

El Charro Cafe 
311 N. Court Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85701
(520) 622-1922
 
Other Locations:
7725 N. Oracle
Oro Valley, AZ 85704

(520) 229-1922
 
6910 E. Sunrise
Tucson, AZ 85750
(520) 514-1922
 

No comments:

Post a Comment