Wednesday, May 12, 2021

May 9, 2021 - Spiga Cucina Italiana - Scottsdale, Arizona

I celebrated Mother's Day  with Judson, Jonah, Joshua and Jody Hayes...and Jody's parents - Jack and Judy Svendsen.

We started with drinks.  Baskets of sliced baguettes were placed on the table with bean and garlic spread.  It tasted delicious.  I should have asked but I believe it was blended garbanzo beans and garlic.

We ordered starters.  Joshua ordered the Affettato – selection of meats (prosciutto, coppa or pancetta, pepperoni or Calabrese salme), cheeses,  (blue, Parmesan, sharp Provolone) and served with grilled eggplant, squash and zucchini, olives (Castelvetvano and marinated Greek black) and oil bread..and there was a cup of nuts in the middle of the board.  I loved the taste of grilled vegetables.  Since I wasn’t able to taste everything on the board I am guessing at the meats, cheeses and olives.

He also ordered two Polpette – veal, pork, beef, Pecorino with creamy polenta.  I loved these even though they were cooked in a Marinara sauce.  My Grandma used to make them but she used Romano instead of Pecorino so hers were a little sharper tasting.  She also knew that I didn’t care for red sauce so she never put mine in the sauce to stew.  She would heap grated Romano sauce on top of mine…mmmmm….but I loved these.  It was the first time that Judson has ever eaten them and I think he liked them…so I will have to show him how to make them.

This is also the first time that I have ever seen them on a menu even in Italy.

 Entrées:

Judy and Joshua ordered the Risotto Tutto Mare – Arbous rice, mussels, baby clams, calamari, sea scallops, sauteed shrimp in tomato, white wine and saffron brodette.

Jody ordered the Raviolo di ‘Sorala’ – stuffed with short rib and roasted garlic herb goat cheese, asparagus, wild mushrooms. Carrots, short rib jus.

Judson order Rigatoni alla Vodka – sauteed pancetta, garlic, vodka tomato cream sauce. 

Jonah and I ordered the Pappdela Bolognese – veal, beef, pork, black pepper-crusted ricotta.  My pasta was tender and fresh tasting…but not over cooked.

Jack ordered the Brasato di Manzo – slow braised short rib, polenta, sauteed seasonal vegetables.

I wished that I would have taken pictures, but not on Mother’s Day.  It would be like the bride taking pictures during the wedding.

Dessert – Judson and Jonah shared Bouchon – warm chocolate cake made with Vahlronachocolate, vanilla bean gelato.

Jody – Chocolate Truffle Tartufo – Zabmbione cream center surrounded by chocolate gelato – light and smooth…also with nuts..yummy!

I ordered the Limoncello Truffle Tartufo – lemon gelato with a heart of limoncello covered in meringue – delicious and smooth with a nice calm sweet and tart taste.

 I researched Vahlrona Chocolate:

 “Every bite of chocolate becomes a sensory experience when you choose Valrhona chocolate. This premium chocolate has been produced in the small village of Tain L’Hermitage, France since 1922. Albéric Guironnet, a pastry chef, founded the company with a commitment to creating beautifully complex yet balanced artisan chocolates. Much like the renowned wines of the Rhone Valley, the cocoa beans used to make Valrhona chocolates have been carefully selected from the unique terroir in which they are grown in for crafting their premium couverture blends. In fact, Valrhona is one of the few chocolatiers who have established their own plantations for growing cocoa beans. As a result, even the most discerning chocolate lovers can appreciate the expert care that goes into making every piece of Valrhona chocolate.”

 Spiga Cucina Italiana
7500 E. Pinnacle Peak Rd
Scottsdale, Arizona 85255
(480) 513-9000
Hours:  Daily 11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment