Monday, June 10, 2024

May 23, 2023 - Portillo's - Scottsdale, Arizona

 In the fall of 2023 I was hungry for a good hot dog...so I started looking.  I then realized that Chicagoland Hot Dogs and More....was just up the street from me...so I tried a  hot dog...Chicago style and loved it.  I am sorry to say that I didn't continue on my search.  I forgot all about my quest.

So you can imagine my interest in an "Arizona Republic" article written by Bill Goodykoontz.  He went on the same quest looking for his 10 favorite hot dogs…but he decided not to rank them…and he has 17…which made me laugh…just call it your 17 favorite hot dogs….

On his list was Portillo's...a local transplant chain from Chicago.  I stopped at Barnes and Noble the other day.  There is a Portillo's in  the shopping area.  

I have been there many times but I have never tried their hot dogs.  Of course they are Chicago dogs.  So I ordered a Jumbo Portillo’s Beef  Hot Dog and it was served on this wonderfully soft…steamy poppy seed bun..  The hot dog was covered with mustard, relish, celery salt, freshly chopped onions, sliced tomatoes, a kosher pickle, and sport peppers. $4.99 (the regular sized is $3.99)    I do agree with Bill…the tomatoes slices are just too big.

I rated it #2 on my  list behind Chicagoland Hot Dogs because of the tomato slices...and the relish was just  tastier in Mesa.  Next time I will try Portillo's Polish Sausage.

Portillo’s Scottsdale
10574 N. 90th Street
Scottsdale AZ 85258
480-451-2888
Hours:  Daily 10:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.

A little history -  How It All Began - The “Dog House” was Dick Portillo’s first hot dog stand in 1963. Years later, what is now known as Portillo’s still sells hot dogs, but the menu has grown to include Italian beef sandwiches, char-grilled burgers, fresh salads, and  their world famous chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment