Monday, November 1, 2021

October 8, 2021 - The Duce - Phoenix, Arizona

It was an interesting place.  First of all we couldn’t find a place to park plus there was a street closed.  Mike finally went in and asked. They were about to open in ten minutes even though the website said 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.

 


A little history - once a prohibition era-warehouse anchoring a bustling produce district by day, when the sun set the notorious neighborhood known as The Duce transform into the place to be for great food and fun. 

 



We went in…and there was lots of old things all over the place…pretty cute and very welcoming.  It was huge. Mike and  I went into the Black Orchid Room and looked around.  Apparently there is music starting at 8:00 p.m.  I am happy that we came early. Plus there was another large room on the south side of the Black Orchid Room.

 We each ordered a drink…I ordered a Bloody Mary. I watched the young lady make it but I really can’t remember what she put in it…of course there was a Bloody Mary mix and vodka, a small shot of the pickle juice….she garnished it with an olive….put a straw in it and laid a pickle slice across the top…I think maybe a kosher pickle because it was not a dill pickle.  Poured everything into a squat Mason jar.  Everything here is served in a jar.  I think because of the prohibition history.  I liked my drink..

 


My Bloody Mary

Mike's Margarita

I ordered the Ila’s Brisket Sliders – The Duce Favorite!  These delicious two crusty knot rolls heaped with a very good , sweet tasting brisket.  I really liked these.  I didn’t order any sides because I was saving for dessert plus everything was ala carte…


Ila's Brisket Sliders


Mike ordered the Mason Jar Prairie Pasta – Organic Prairie vodka sauce, chicken sausage and peas.

                                   

Mason Jar Prairie Pasta

                                                                    

Candy and Pat ordered the brisket as I did. Pat added the Homemade Baked Beans…Candy the Homemade Pickle Slaw.  Pat wasn’t crazy about her side…but Candy was happy with hers.

I was the only one to order dessert- Sour Cream Berry Pie Jar…and it was served piping hot and delicious.  I liked the fact that it wasn’t too sweet.

 I really think because most of the menu is Gluten Free, Gluten Free Option, Vegetarian Option and Vegan Option that there isn’t the sugar or processed taste that we are used to eating…and so everything tastes bland to us.  I liked it…and I am happy that went there to eat.  It was one of those places that one has to experience.

 At first I thought all the items were very expensive…but I walked away full…so I know that the servings were just right.

 It was visited by Diners, Drive-in & Dives – the program featured one of their Warm-Ups – The Duce Mac and Cheese Muffins – baked with cheddar cheese, gruyere, goat cheese, panko and parmesan topping.   And -  Chicken Pot Pie Jar 



The staff was wonderful...very friendly...very accommodating.




The Duce
525 S. Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ
(602) 866-3823
Hours:  Wednesday 4:00 p.m. – 11:00 p..m.
             Thursday 4:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
            Friday – Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
            Sunday 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
            Monday – Tuesday – Closed


No comments:

Post a Comment