Thursday, June 15, 2017

June 14, 2017 - Salt + Lime Modern Mexican Grill - Scottsdale, Arizona

My cousin Rose Filicetti is in town several times during her vacation at the Grand Canyon with her whole family.  We planned many months ago to all meet for dinner on this date.  Eight of us - Rose,  her husband, Neal Savage, their youngest daughter Torie, Joshua, Jody, Judson and Jonah Hayes met here for dinner.

I ordered two tacos…one was a pot belly taco..and the other was a blackened camaron taco…both filled with lots of sliced peppers…red onions….chopped cilantro…small cubed tomatoes…lemon juice…yummy!



Pot Bell Taco on the left...Camaron Taco on the right

Torie’s choice of Tamales intrigued me.  I may return just to try this entrée.  Three Mexico City style tamales topped with your choice of carne asada,* carnitas or pollo asado, refried beans, tomatillo salsa and queso fresco.

Everyone else pretty much ordered some type of specialty taco as I did.

Neal, however, ordered the Taste of the Street - three street tacos, choice of carne asada, pollo asado or carnitas in mini corn tortillas topped with white onion, cilantro. Served with street corn, jicama mango slaw and choice of salsa.  His was able to mix and match the choices...he decided on two carna asada and one carnitas.  He and Torie were sharing.  Great idea!

Jonah, of course, ordered his cheese quesadilla.  That boy never has to look at a menu. Or go through the process of a decision.

Then we did share two dessert – sopappillas and churros…nice and hot and delicious.  Four square sopappillas were served with three different sauces…lime…chocolate and caramel.  I thought it was unique to eat  square sopappillas but I decided to research and the term “sopappilla” means fried Mexican pastry, typically square eaten with honey and sugar as a bread.  I learn something new every day.  That’s exactly what these were.  Perfect!

The churros were served in large chunk sizes with a vanilla cream cheese sauce.  They were so tasty I wondered if they weren’t fried just before serving…and I should have asked but I wonder if they were homemade…or at the least never frozen.  Now…that gives me a reason to go back.


We sat out on the patio…and it was a perfect evening..with the misters on us.  We talked and laughed…until almost 9:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment