Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13. 2014 - Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup


I went to town today to do all my errands.  One of those errands was to stop at Ann Bulman's house.  She invited me to have a bowl of her homemade Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup with her.  This is the first time that I have tried a bowl of this soup.  It was delicious.

It is a hearty soup...loaded with potatoes, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese.  And, yes, I am going to post her recipe on this site today.  There are some good cooks in Havre.  She could probably be persuaded to make some for you...for a fee.




Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup

From the kitchen of Ann Bulman

2 cups of cooked wild rice (the rice takes approximately 45 minutes to cook)
            I get it at 2-J’s in Great Falls in bulk – it’s hard to find in Havre.  If you can’t get it, use the Zanara’s (sp?) long grain and wild rice – it in a chicken seasoning, but that’s okay.  Just cook that up and add at the end.)

In a large Dutch Oven:
2 cans Cream of Potato Soup
2 or 3 I ounces-cans of mushrooms
2 cups water
1 jar of Old English Cheddar Cheese
Cook until cheese has melted.

Add:
2 cups milk or Half and Half (I’ve used Soy Milk before and it’s just as good.)
Cooked Wild Rice
Fried bacon and onion

Stir – careful not to scorch the milk.


This is her recipe as she gave it to me.  I love collecting these recipes with all of the personal comments, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment