Sunday, April 6, 2014

Homemade Pies - Amish Cream Pie

I have to tell you that homemade pies are my passion.  I have been known to drive miles and miles out of my way to try a piece of homemade pie.  My friends and I used to do a Pie tour of Glacier National Park.  I will have to write out the tour in one of my future blogs.


The city of Cut Bank, Montana lies about 123 miles west of Havre...along US Highway 2.


This is the home of one of my favorite pies - Amish Cream Pie.


I originally found the


C & L Country Café
112 N. Central
Cut Bank, Montana 
406 -  873-5335


but when we stopped on September 19, 2013 there was no more C & L Country Café.  The café is not located on Main Street and is known as the Big Sky Café.  The good news is that they still serve the Amish Cream Pie...and it is as delicious as always.


The texture of this pie has an almost custard quality...but  a smoother...more decadent  pie filling... lots of cream, butter, cinnamon ...with a crust that is so light and flakey it melts in your mouth so you know that is loaded with butter or lard also.  It always comes topped with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.


When this pie is baked it doesn't last long.  We always call ahead and either order a whole pie...or asked them to bake a pie.  Then have them reserve so many pieces of pie and tell them an approximate time that we will be passing through Cut Bank.


I have also had good breakfasts at this restaurant as well as very good and inexpensive lunch specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment