Friday, April 4, 2014

April 2, 2014 - Lenten Soup Supper

Every Wednesday evening during Lent I attend the Lenten Soup Suppers at the First Presbyterian Church.  The Presbyterian ladies can really cook and bake.  Yes...we go for the Lenten season study but let me tell you the soup is delicious.


Tonight it was a choice of - Potato and Ham - Chicken Enchilada - Chicken and Wild Rice.


My first bowl was the Chicken Enchilada soup. It was a very hearty soup loaded with beans, large chunks of chicken, tomatoes, onions, and peppers.  There was a hot kick at the end of every spoonful.  And yes, there was shredded cheese in a side bowl.  I topped off my bowl of soup with some cheese.


There is always an assortment of cornbread, biscuits, slices of bread or buns to eat with the soup.  I love cornbread so I chose a slice of cornbread slathered with butter.


My second bowl was the Potato and Ham soup.  This soup consisted of a thin broth with small cubes of potatoes and very small pieces of ham.  The broth was creamy and contained small piece of carrots and celery.  Very tasty.  This time I took a homemade biscuit to eat with the soup.


As always the discussion was led by Pastor John Bruington.  He is the leader of my weekly Bible Study.  So during this Lenten season we have read and are discussing Bill O'Reilly's Killing Jesus.


The is a historical account of the death of Christ.  Ancient History is my degree area.  This is the first time in my life that I have put the death of Christ together with my knowledge of ancient Rome.  Very interesting.


I always knew about the cruelty of the Romans when they controlled most of the known world.  But I had never put that together with the gruesome death of Jesus Christ.


Makes one wonder doesn't it...do I go to these weekly dinners for the good soup or the good discussion.



No comments:

Post a Comment