Sunday, November 8, 2015

November 8, 2015 - Henhouse Cafe - Gilbert, Arizona

Sandy Wilts and I arrived there about 9:45 a.m. and we had a 15 minute wait..so it wasn’t so bad…but then we were only waiting for a table for 2.  We walked around the shopping center and found two more restaurants the tickled our fancy…Fondue…and Tia Rose…we will have to come back for more.  I am definitely coming back here for breakfast.  It is hard to find a good breakfast spot…but I think we have…there are a couple more breakfast spots though that we want to try.

The atmosphere was:  busy, noisy…but comforting…it’s a family café…you are still able to carry on a conversation with each other.

The décor – old…antiques like a large Radio Flyer wagon…washboards…ironing boards…milk bottles..Mason canning jars and lids..lunch boxes…food product tins – lots of chickens -  Lots of signs, wooden, metal and fabric

Sandy ordered the Biscuits and Gravy with Scrambled Eggs. The biscuit was huge and very soft.  That is what I always want with this breakfast dish…soft and fluffy biscuits.  When I asked Sandy if she liked her fried potatoe, she responded, “great…just like Grandma used to make.”

Slice slightly cooked red potatoes…fried…just like my Mother used to make.  They didn’t taste as if they were fried in lard or bacon grease like these two girls grew up eating..nor could I taste butter…but they were very good…and I would recommend that you taste and then add your salt and pepper.  I am not much of a person for adding salt but I definitely added salt and pepper to my potatoes…and I like this.  I would rather add my own.





I am adding this second picture of Sandy with her Biscuits and Gravy because one is able to see the decor in the background.


 I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak with two eggs (scrambled) – Chicken Fried Steak covered with sausage gravy (of course, white gravy.  I won’t eat it with brown gravy…only white gravy) – Fried Potatoes – Toast (knowing me you just know that I chose the Marble Rey..delicious).






I thought the breakfasts were pretty routine, but I don’t mean to say it was bad.  I just mean it was as I expected and for breakfast (my favorite meal) it was very good…and filling…perfect breakfast for me.

The hours are 6:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.  There are about 30 tables inside…and patio seating.  What I liked was they had 9-10 wait staff and bus staff.  I could see three cooks and there were two expediters.  They don’t skimp on staff…and I like that…staff was more than sufficient to give each patron lots of attention.

All of specials were written on this huge chalk board…and all sounded great to me like Pumpkin Pancakes…but then I am going back to try the huge pancakes, specialty pancakes, waffles and French Toast…sounds as if Sandy and I will be making this a weekly Sunday trek.  I love breakfast after Mass.

I loved the saying on the chalk board – Wicked Chickens Lay Deviled Eggs!  Each employee wore a Henhouse Café t-shirt.  The back read, “ The Rooster May Crow – But the Hen Delivers.”


As you can tell I enjoyed the whole experience.

Henhouse Café
3244 E. Guadalupe Road
Gilbert, Arizona
(480) 219-7379

No comments:

Post a Comment